This is how the trees still looked this morning. I know it's not that great for the trees, but it sure was pretty with the sun bouncing off all that ice.
I got to the button band on my Winter Sunset cardigan and had to make a few changes. First the pattern says to pick up 192 sts, and I'm thinking that sounds like alot of stitches. Won't the band be all floppy and bunched up? So I started picking up 3 stitches for every 4 rows of knitting. It has always worked out well for me in the past. I ended up with 150 sts. If this doesn't work out I'll be tinking it and trying again. Not one of my favorite things to do.
Now pattern 4 rows and place 8 buttonholes.
Pattern says knit to buttonhole placement, sl1, sl1, psso, sl1, psso. Slip this st back to left needle, CO 2 st. Rep for other buttonholes.
Didn't like the look of that one. Now remember I'm working with two colours here. So I patterned to the place I wanted it (1 white st before the 2 black sts) ssk, wrapped both yarns around the needle twice, k2tog (2nd black st and 1st white st).
(click on pics for larger image)
So now on the wrong side these 2 sts should be white and I knit in the front and back of the double wrap to make 2 stitches for the next row.
So for this particular pattern, I have a buttonhole I can live with.
And to my amazement the eight buttonholes worked out perfectly even and in the same pattern repeat.
The only problem now is getting it back from Mr. Tibbs to finish the other band.