8 February 2007

You can teach an old dog...

Tuesday's guild meeting was a blast. Thanks again Julie. I learned something new.


Julie taught us Cat Bordhi's moebius cast on. If anyone had told me what this technique does I would have never believed them. But seeing and doing is believing.
You end up with a tube that has a twist in it.

You cast on over and under the needle and coil of the circular needle.

Then you knit in each loop, either in the front or back so not to twist it.(as I did the first time and had to rip it out and re-cast.

Then slip on a stitch marker and start knitting.
Around and around.
When you get back to where the marker is, it's on the coil not the needle. So you keep knitting till you get back to the marker again and it's on the needle.

It's like magic! you end up knitting from the middle out and each half round is one side or the other. Amazing. The possibilities....

It's so addictive. I'm just using a left over ball of and it's almost gone so I'm thinking of adding on another colour. I can't seem to stop.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we had a similar reaction at our house. a very odd fascination.

Samantha said...

I'm trying to figure out what yarn I have that I could make one out of ... I have a ball of Patons Decor that I used for my Great American Aran Afghan square, but it won't really go with my coat. My stash is low ... I need to upgrade. I could always forget saffron cables (for now) and use some of that yummy chocolate brown Cascade 220 I have ... hmmmmm.

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I've been wanting to learn how to do that also. But I think I have to see it being done ... I've got her book but sometimes it's easier to see such techniques in person. I'd love a moebius scarf.